For a FREE consultation, and decision
in as little as 5 minutes, call:

0161 358 0800

Claims for Accidents in the Street 

Accidents in Public Injury Claims 

Claims for Accidents in the Street

When you walk down the street you never expect to have an accident and suffer an injury. That’s because it is the legal duty of the local council to keep streets and pavements maintained to an acceptable standard. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and you could end up having an accident.

If you have been injured as a result of the negligence of the local council, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation. Our solicitors can take you through the claims process, advising you throughout proceedings to ensure you get the maximum amount of compensation possible.

To speak to a lawyer about an accident you’ve had in the street, contact us today by calling 0161 358 0800. Alternatively, fill in the enquiry form on this page and we will get back to you shortly.


About accidents in the street

What causes accidents and how you can be injured

Who is responsible?

A look at the local council’s duty of care

Making a claim for compensation

Advice on making a claim for compensation

Why choose Aequitas Legal?

Our solicitors are experts in personal injury claims

How we have helped others

Examples of successful claims


About street accidents

Due to many people using pavements and roads on a daily basis, streets are susceptible to wear and tear over the years. They must be frequently maintained by the local council to prevent accidents from happening. Damage to pavements and roads that can result in an accident includes:

  • Cracked, missing or rocking pavement slabs

  • Loose pavement slabs

  • An exposed tree root

  • Potholes

  • A missing manhole cover

  • Uneven kerbstones

Additionally, if there is work being carried out on the street by a construction company, sites may not be cleared properly and damage may be caused, which can result in an accident. If you have been injured because of a construction area, our solicitors can help you make a claim for compensation.

Who is responsible?

In most cases, the local council will be responsible if you are harmed in an accident on a street. This is because they have a legal duty to maintain pavements and roads to an acceptable standard. If the accident is on private land, the owner can be held accountable for any injuries, while construction companies will be responsible if there is an accident caused by any work being carried out on the street.

What to do when you’ve been injured

If you are injured in an accident on the street and haven’t suffered an injury that requires immediate medical attention, there are a number of steps you should take that can help you claim in the long run.

1. Take down the name, telephone number and address of any witnesses to the accident.

2. Photograph the area in which your injury occurred and use an item to show the scale of any faults that caused your accident. This includes cracks in the pavement, potholes and uneven kerbs, e.g. a 50 pence piece resting against the hazard.

3. Find out who is responsible for the area and report the accident. If your injury was caused by a construction company, they should have an accident book where you can make a record of the incident.

4. If there is any CCTV in the area, find out who owns the recordings and ask for a copy from them.

These steps are to be taken solely as guidance and should not be considered as proper legal advice. To speak to a solicitor, get in touch with Aequitas Legal.

Making a claim for compensation

To make a claim for an accident in the street, the following must be true:

  • Your accident happened in the last three years

  • Those responsible for your accident can be identified

  • You have reported the accident to the relevant authorities

For more information, take a look at our guide to making a claim.

Why choose Aequitas Legal?

At Aequitas Legal, we are able to make a full assessment of your case to help you prove who was responsible and to what extent your injuries will impact on your life. We will then act on your behalf to agree on a suitable settlement for all of your needs. Our aim is to make the whole process as stress-free as possible so you can concentrate on making a full recovery.

Compensation can be sought to cover the cost of any lost, or potential losses of, wages, modifications to your lifestyle and immediate access to medical treatments.

How we have helped others

To read about how we have helped others who have been in an accident in the street, please take a look at our case studies.

Start your claim today

If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident in the street, contact us today on 0161 358 0800 to start a claim for compensation. Alternatively, complete the contact form located on this page and let us know a suitable time to get back to you.

Call us for reliable, accessible and friendly advice:
0161 358 0800

Accreditations & Awards

  • acc-1.jpg
  • acc-2.jpg
  • acc-3.jpg
  • acc-4.jpg
  • acc-5.jpg
  • best-customer-service-online.png
  • ExAwards_2013-Winner-Logo-col_v2.jpg
  • best_use_of_technology_HC.JPG
  • The_Law_Society_Excellence_Awards_Shortlisted_logo.jpg
  • winner_logo_claims_innovation_jpeg_for_email.jpg
  • MLA_Tech_Award.jpg
  • TBA_Finalist_logo.jpg

Download our FREE App: inCase™


© 2014 Aequitas Legal Solicitors Limited. All rights reserved. Site design & development I-COM

Aequitas Legal Solicitors Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales under registered number 08884940. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA Number 612457 and subject to the Solicitors Code of Conduct. VAT Number 972 6931 81

Aequitas Legal is a trading name of Aequitas Legal Solicitors Limited, Head Office: Floor 11 Trafford House, Chester Road, Stretford, Manchester M32 0RS