For a FREE consultation, and decision
in as little as 5 minutes, call:

0161 358 0800

Claims for Accidents in Public

Accidents in Public

Whether you're shopping in the supermarket, having a day out in the park or simply walking down the street, local businesses and councils have a duty to ensure that these areas or premises are safe to use. If they fail to fulfil their responsibilities and you are injured as a result, you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

The team at Aequitas Legal can find out which business or council is responsible for the area and help you make a claim by providing advice and representation throughout the process. Our aim is to ensure you have everything you might need to make a full recovery and to get you back on your feet as soon as possible.

If you or a loved one have been injured in a public place, contact us today to speak to one of our friendly and approachable solicitors. You can either call us on 0161 358 0800 or fill in the contact form on this page and we will get back to you.


About accidents in public

What causes accidents and how you can be injured

Who is responsible

A look at the various parties responsible for your safety

Making a claim for compensation

Advice on making a claim for compensation

Why choose Aequitas Legal?

Our solicitors are experts in personal injury claims

How we have helped others

Examples of successful accident in public claims


About accidents in public

Accidents in public places can be caused by anything, from tripping over a cracked paving slab to slipping on a wet floor. However you have been injured, if it was caused by somebody else’s negligence you are entitled to make a claim for compensation. We have made claims for a number of different public premises and areas, including:

Injuries sustained can vary in severity from minor cuts and bruises to serious head or back damage, which can have far-reaching consequences. This can include having to take time off work and attending medical appointments and rehabilitation therapy. That’s why it’s important you make a compensation claim to ease the financial burden that comes with so many injuries.

Who is responsible?

The individual or group responsible for your safety differs from premises to premises, and in some cases there may be multiple parties responsible when an accident occurs in a public place. Generally speaking, if you are injured on a road or pavement then the local council will be held accountable if they have failed to follow health and safety legislation, while those who own or are in charge of a premises will be responsible should you have an accident there.

At Aequitas Legal, we are skilled in determining exactly who is responsible for your injury so the right insurance company is approached when we help you make a claim.   

What to do when you’ve been injured

There are a number of steps you can take to help strengthen your public liability claim. However, you should only consider these options if your injury does not require immediate medical assistance.

1. Take down the details of any witnesses to the accident, including name, telephone number and address.

2. Photograph the area in which you suffered an injury, for example, any cracks in the pavement, potholes in the road or damaged parts of a property. It is useful to include an item in the photograph that helps determine the size of the fault, e.g. a 50 pence piece resting against the hazard.

3. Report the incident to the relevant authority. For public areas, such as roads and pavements, the accident should be reported to the local council. For property, including supermarkets, shops and restaurants, it should be reported to the owner or manager and a record should be made in the accident book.

4. Check to see if there are any CCTV cameras that could have caught the accident and, if so, ask for a copy.

Please note that these steps are to be solely taken as guidance and are not to be considered comprehensive legal advice. For assistance with a personal injury claim, please get in touch with Aequitas Legal.

Making a claim for compensation

Before you make a claim for an accident in a public place, there are three questions you must ask yourself:

  • Did your accident take place in the last three years?

  • Do you know who is responsible for your injuries?

  • Have you notified the business or local council about the accident?

If you are unsure about who is responsible for the land or area where your accident took place, we can undertake a detailed investigation to find out who it belongs to so that you’re able to make a claim.

For more information on making a claim, take a look at our guide to the compensation process.

Why choose Aequitas Legal?

Our solicitors have settled many personal injury claims for those who have suffered as a result of someone else’s negligence. For that reason, we understand exactly what it takes to make a successful claim for compensation. This compensation can help ease the burden of an injury.

From the start to the very end of your claim, you will be assigned your own personal injury solicitor, who will have been specifically chosen for their expertise in your public liability case. This allows a rapport to be built between the two of you and means you can be assured that you will always be kept up to date and will have a solicitor working for you who knows how much this compensation will help.    

How we have helped others

To read about how we have helped others who have been in a similar situation to you following an accident in public, please take a look at our case studies.

Start your claim today

If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident in a public place, we are here to help you make a public liability claim. For advice from our friendly and knowledgeable solicitors, simply call us on 0161 358 0800 or complete the contact form located on this page and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Whether you’re shopping in the supermarket, playing in the park with your children or walking down the street, local businesses and councils have to ensure that the area or premises are safe to use.”

Call us for reliable, accessible and friendly advice:
0161 358 0800

Accreditations & Awards

  • acc-1.jpg
  • acc-2.jpg
  • acc-3.jpg
  • acc-4.jpg
  • acc-5.jpg
  • best-customer-service-online.png
  • ExAwards_2013-Winner-Logo-col_v2.jpg
  • best_use_of_technology_HC.JPG
  • The_Law_Society_Excellence_Awards_Shortlisted_logo.jpg
  • winner_logo_claims_innovation_jpeg_for_email.jpg
  • MLA_Tech_Award.jpg
  • TBA_Finalist_logo.jpg

Download our FREE App: inCase™


© 2014 Aequitas Legal Solicitors Limited. All rights reserved. Site design & development I-COM

Aequitas Legal Solicitors Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales under registered number 08884940. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA Number 612457 and subject to the Solicitors Code of Conduct. VAT Number 972 6931 81

Aequitas Legal is a trading name of Aequitas Legal Solicitors Limited, Head Office: Floor 11 Trafford House, Chester Road, Stretford, Manchester M32 0RS